Centerfold Chefs owner Carrie Stevens AVEGOLEMONO SOUP Recipe (Greek Egg-Lemon Soup)!
2 cups milk
2 tablespoons cornstarch
6 egg yolks, beaten
1 cup thinly sliced carrots
1 cup thinly sliced celery
2/3 cup chopped onions
1 Tbs olive oil
96 oz (3 32 oz cartons chicken stock)
1 cup long grain rice
1/4 cup butter
½ cup chopped parsley note: I used the mini food processor
1 cup fresh lemon juice (4 lemons) note: I used my juicer
1 lemon, rind of, grated (omit if you do not like a strong lemon flavor)
1 tsp salt and ½ tsp pepper
A whole chicken or two chicken breasts
1. Rinse the chicken and remove any organs, place in a pot of cool water, bring to a boil and cook for 1 hour to 45 minutes or until the skin and comes off easily and the legs and wings come apart easily. You will only use the breast so you might want to buy breasts unless you are planning on using the rest of the bird. I fed the legs to my picky son who won’t eat soup, and the rest to my not-so-picky dog.
2. Stir the milk and cornstarch together and beat in the egg yolks. Set aside.
3. Heat the olive oil in a pan and add the onions, celery, and carrots, stir until tender and remove from heat before the onions brown, about 5 minutes.
4. Bring the stock to boil in a 4 quart soup pot and add the rice.
5. Cook, covered, until the rice is puffy and tender, about 25 min.
6. Remove the soup from heat, add milk and egg mixture, stirring carefully.
7. Continue to cook for a moment until all thickens.
8. Remove from the heat again and add the butter, chopped parsley, lemon juice, and finely grated lemon peel.
9. Stir in the vegetables and the chicken (cut into bite size pieces)
Make about 12 servings. Serve hot with pita bread, and green salad with tomatoes, cucumber and feta cheese!