By: Dr. Sabena Toor
Detox tips. Processed food, heavy cream sauces, sugar, bread, sugar, and more bread are all staples in our society’s dietary habits. What’s easy, fast, and convenient have taken priority over what’s healthy, nutritious, and fiber filled.
When our (bad or not-so-great) dietary choices have our bodies acting sluggish and fatigued, many Americans turn to over the counter detoxifying or detox regimes for help. Before choosing a program, Dr. Sabena Toor, a pulmonary and critical care specialist at Los Angeles’ Cedar Sinai Hospital, has helped patients with her customized detoxification programs for years. Her extensive background in Western Medicine combined with her knowledge of holistic and herbal medicine has helped people like Jennifer Aniston to structure a perfect detoxification program to best fit the patient.
Not everyone can visit Dr. Toor at her LA office (although she does counsel people over the phone), she offers some advice to those considering an over-the-counter detoxification program.
(1) Any regime that takes less than two weeks to clean out the system is a waste of money. “You didn’t get this way in a few days,” explains Dr. Toor, “you’re not going to fix it in a short period of time. I prefer programs that take at least two weeks.”
(2) Eat properly before starting a detox program. Although Dr. Toor’s programs are custom designed for each of her patients, she hopes that “people are already eating healthy before they start the program.” This only helps the process work better and more efficiently.
(3) Detox a couple of times a year. Dr. Toor suggests right after the new year, “not necessarily on New Year’s Day, but maybe on the second or so” and then again right before summer.
(4) Meet with your physician before starting a detox program. Dr. Toor has each patient go through a physical exam that can include blood work, to rule out any other problems or causes of the patient’s feelings of fatigue, bloating, or symptoms of wanting to use a detox regime.
(5) Avoid caffeine and alcohol when going through a detox program. These two things dehydrate the body and can reduce the body’s efficiency.
(6) Reduce your stress levels. Before you start laughing, decreases in stress levels can increase the body’s immune system, therefore make it easier to stay well.
(7) If you smoke, QUIT! If you’re trying to get garbage out of your body, why would keep replacing it?
When she isn’t working, Dr. Toor is a Hot Mom who loves to be with her family at home.
If you want to know more about Dr. Toor or any of her products, go to sabenatoormd
By: Dr. Sabena Toor Detox tips. Processed food, heavy cream sauces, sugar, bread, sugar, and more bread are all staples in our society’s dietary habits. What’s easy, fast, and convenient have taken priority over what’s healthy, nutritious, and fiber filled. When our (bad or not-so-great) dietary choices have our bodies acting sluggish and fatigued, many […]