Easy Ways to Look Younger
By Karyn D. Collins
Easy ways to look younger! Is your mirror showing you someone who looks older than she feels? Of course exercising and eating right will keep you looking and feeling younger over the long haul, but there are also easy changes you can make right now to look younger. Try these beauty tips and tricks to take the years off in a flash!
Wearing the right clothes is key to a younger appearance, says N.J.-based celebrity style expert Dawn Del Russo, author of 101 Glam Girl Ways to an Ultra Chic Lifestyle.
“Some of us go for what we think is comfortable without realizing those things can age us,” Del Russo says. She suggests getting rid of these age-adding wardrobe items:
· Anything too baggy or too tight
· Single-color matching tops and bottoms (Complementary colors create a younger appearance.)
· High-waisted jeans (Look for a low-rise or hip-high fit instead.)
· High-necked tops or shirts buttoned all the way to the collar (Consider V-neck or scoop-neck styles instead.)
· Light-wash denim (Darker washes are more flattering.)
· Square-toed shoes and chunky sandals, except for espadrilles (“I know a lot of women don’t like to hear this, but wearing a ‘comfort-style’ shoe can show your age,” says DelRusso.)
Beware of going to extremes with your hair when you’re trying to look younger. Boston-based hair specialist Nancy V. Brown warns against trying drastic styles such as an ultra-brassy hair color or an Anne Hathaway-short cut.
“Sometimes people can take a trend and go too far with it, and it ends up aging them,” says Brown, a hair restoration specialist who runs the NV My Hair Salon and Academy in Boston. She also suggests these beauty tips and tricks:
· Stay away from short, round styles.
· Go for longer, angled bangs rather than a severe straight-across cut.
· Say no to mullets! Wear a single-length style rather than growing your hair longer in the back.
· Try soft or untidy updos rather than tight buns or ponytails.
· Use highlights to camouflage gray growth.
Celebrity makeup artist Luis Casco points out that when it comes to cosmetics, a little goes a long way. “Too much of anything will age you,” he says. He offers these tips:
· Give yourself an instant “lift” by shaping and filling in your eyebrows properly, and then applying a highlight just above and under the brow.
· Opt for softer, well-blended eye and lip colors rather than dramatic shades, which can age your face.
· Use moisturizer and sunscreen every day!
Reducing wrinkles and sagging skin is a challenge, though not impossible, says Dr. Loretta Ciraldo, a board-certified dermatologist based in Miami and author of 6 Weeks to Sensational Skin. Here are her tips:
· Look for products that contain natural skin humectants normally found at the skin surface, like lactate, calcium pantothenate and urea.
· Avoid plumping products containing irritants like pepper and cinnamon, which can inflame and even darken skin.
· Topical dermal fillers can soften or plump wrinkles temporarily; talk to your dermatologist before using these products. (Dr. Ciraldo has her own line available through her website, drloretta.com.)
· Injectable skin fillers like Botox or Dysport
can give longer-lasting results than topical creams and serums, but they’re not
for everyone. If you’re considering this option, consult a licensed,
board-certified physician who has had training in the proper use of these
products. Ask the doctor about her experience with injectable fillers and the
Karyn D. Collins is a freelance writer who specializes in fashion and entertainment. Her articles have appeared in numerous newspapers, as well as in Jet, 40-74, Inside Jersey and New Jersey Monthly magazines.
Easy Ways to Look Younger By Karyn D. Collins Easy ways to look younger! Is your mirror showing you someone who looks older than she feels? Of course exercising and eating right will keep you looking and feeling younger over the long haul, but there are also easy changes you can make right now to […]