Father Warns Against The Dangers Of Video Games After Son Dies From ‘Marathon Gaming Sessions’

Jan 13, 2016 at 2:35 pm |

Chris Staniforth was only 20 years old when he died, and his father is hoping he can prevent similar deaths by speaking out.

Chris was a gamer who often would spend 12 hours at a time playing his favourite video games, often with people from all around the world. He favoured Halo and, according to his father David, ‘Chris lived for his Xbox. When he got into a game he could play it for hours and hours on end, sometimes 12 hours in a stretch.’ Unfortunately it seems that Chris’s love for gaming could be what killed him. Chris died after suffering from a blockage to his lungs caused by deep vein thrombosis. DVP is normally associated with long stretches of inactivity.

‘As a parent you think playing computer games can’t do them any harm because you know what they are doing.

Kids all over the country are playing these games for long periods – they don’t realise it could kill them.’

Chris was at a job interview when he confided in friends he wasn’t feeling welland had been experiencing chest pains.  He then collapsed, ‘he dropped a packet of chewing gum and as he picked it up, he jolted back and began to spasm.’

After his son died from a blood clot, this one father is launching a campaign to warn of the dangers of too much video games. Do you monitor screen time in your home?