Kiwifruit Cheesecake Ginger Bites
Summer is here and so is camp season for the kids. Whether it is day camp or sleep-away camp, parents can have fun too by sneaking fun-filled snacks into lunchboxes or care packages.
For day camp, consider adding fruit to the lunchbox rather than high-calorie cookies or candy bars. Fruits are more refreshing during hot days and will give your kids the nutrients they need to stay active. Both green and gold kiwifruit each have twice the vitamin C as an orange, as much potassium as a banana and as much fiber as many whole grain cereals.
Since packing lunches for a sleep-away camp isn’t possible, care packages can be a nice surprise for kids while away from home. When creating these packages, make sure to include items like hand-written notes, a favorite book, a photo or something that will comfort them while at camp.
Remember to also include snacks that are convenient to eat on-the-go and might not be available at camp. Kiwifruit’s bright colors and fuzzy skin will get the attention of other campers.
Kiwifruit is easier for kids to eat than one might think. There’s no need to peel, just cut it in half and scoop out the fruit with a spoon.
Kiwifruit Tips for Day Camp
- Pack whole kiwifruit and teach kids the cut and scoop method. Don’t forget a plastic knife and spoon.
- Add peeled kiwifruit into other lunch item such as whole grain salads or salsas with corn chips.
- Cut kiwifruit into wedges, to be eaten like an orange.
- Kids love dipping foods. Include some yogurt for dipping fun.
Shipping Kiwifruit in Care Packages
- Put kiwifruit in a paper or plastic bag within the package.
- Include padding or packing peanuts so the fruit doesn’t get damaged.
- Include a plastic knife and spoon to help cut and scoop.
- Select fruit that’s not quite ripe. Ripe kiwifruit has a slight give, like a ripe peach
- or avocado. Unripe kiwifruit is hard to the touch. Green kiwifruit is the best option for care packages because it can be found less ripe at the grocery store. Gold kiwifruit is usually ripe upon purchase.
- Packages should be sent to arrive within 2-3 days to avoid over-ripening.
Kiwifruit adds color and flavor to whole grain or pasta salads – perfect for a family picnic. Or try these colorful Kiwifruit Cheesecake Ginger Bites – a simple dessert kids and adults will love to bite into.
Kiwifruit Cheesecake Ginger Bites
- 3 Zespri green or gold kiwifruit
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced fat* or regular cream cheese
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon lime or lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 30 ginger snap cookies
- Peel kiwifruit and cut in half lengthwise. Cut each half into five even slices for a total of 30 pieces.
- Mix cream cheese, sugar, zest and vanilla in small bowl; stir until smooth. Place mixture into small, self-sealing plastic bag. Cut one corner from bottom of bag; squeeze mixture in a decorative swirl onto flat side of each cookie. Top with kiwifruit slice. Serve immediately or chill and serve within 2 hours.
Notes, Tips & Suggestions *Do not substitute fat free cream cheese.
SOURCE: Zespri Kiwifruit
Kiwifruit Cheesecake Ginger Bites Summer is here and so is camp season for the kids. Whether it is day camp or sleep-away camp, parents can have fun too by sneaking fun-filled snacks into lunchboxes or care packages. For day camp, consider adding fruit to the lunchbox rather than high-calorie cookies or candy bars. Fruits are […]