You know him as Nevel Papperman on Nickelodeon’s hit show, iCarly, but he is not just an actor and not just a teen…. He is creating Healthy & Delicious Back to School Recipes with icarly Star Reed Alexander
Off-camera, the 17-year old self-trained chef is taking an active role in educating our younger generations about making healthy lifestyle choices via his food website, www.KewlBites.com and his work with The Alliance for a Healthier Generation (founded by the William J. Clinton Foundation & American Heart Association).
While parents can talk about eating healthy until they’re blue in the face, kids stop and listen when Reed speaks about the importance of good nutrition. He frequently visits schools and in February, he launched 4fresh and healthy school lunch recipes with The Alliance that are available at no cost to every school in the US.
After struggling with his weight as a busy teen star, Reed’s passion for creating a healthy lifestyle led him to begin experimenting in the kitchen, writing his own recipes and compiling them into his food and fitness focused website, KewlBites. Balancing auditions, media appearances and school, Reed’s schedule is comparable to that of a busy parent; hence his recipes are catered to those with little time in the kitchen.
What you need:
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 3/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
• 3/4 cup raw sugar
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
• 3 whole medium, very ripe bananas, stems and peels removed and discarded
• 4 egg whites
• 3 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon organic nonfat plain yogurt
• 2 tablespoons canola oil
• 2 teaspoons maple-flavored extract
• 2/3 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
• canola oil spray OR nonstick cooking spray
what to do:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare a 12-mold muffin top pan (the molds are shallow, so as to create thin, wide, round muffin tops) by lightly coating the wells with canola oil spray OR nonstick cooking spray. 2. In a medium bowl, combine the dry ingredients – both the all-purpose and whole-wheat pastry flours, the raw sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk all ingredients thoroughly until well distributed. 3. In a separate, larger bowl, add the wet ingredients – the bananas, egg whites, yogurt, oil, and maple-flavored extract. Use an electric stand- or hand-mixer set to medium speed to break down and liquefy the bananas and blend them with the other ingredients. Continue to beat the mixture until no chunks of banana remain in the wet ingredients and the mixture is smooth, uniform, and completely combined. 4. Slowly, in batches, add small quantities of the dry ingredients into the larger bowl containing the wet ingredients, using a silicone or rubber spatula to stir. Continue to do so gradually until all of the dry ingredients are just evenly combined into the wet, forming a batter. 5. Add 1/2 cup of the walnuts into the batter, reserving the remaining portions, for topping the batter before baking later (see Step #7 below). Use the spatula to fold the nuts into the batter until just evenly distributed. 6. Using a small ladle, pour the batter into each of the prepared muffin top molds, dividing it evenly among the 12 molds and making them almost full. 7. Sprinkle the reserved walnuts atop the raw batter in each muffin top mold, dividing them evenly among each muffin top. 8. Place muffin top tray in oven and bake for 12-14 minutes, or until the muffin tops are golden brown and cooked completely through. 9. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes, or until the muffin tops are room temperature. Carefully lift the muffin tops from their molds. 10. Serve and enjoy!
Yields 12 muffin tops.
When the clock strikes snack-time, smiles abound! With a delicious array of kewl+krunchy, salty/sweet options, you can’t go wrong. Check out some taste-bud-tantalizing combos from the roster of pick-me-up palate-pleasers below!
Mix up the following ingredients: Kewl mix #1 •
1 ½ cups air-popped popcorn • ½ cup Barbara’s Multigrain Shredded Spoonfuls cereal • 2 tablespoons dark chocolate raisins • 1 tablespoon dried cranberries • 1 tablespoons unshelled roasted pistachio nuts
Kewl mix #2
• ½ cup Kashi Honey Sunshine cereal
• ¼ cup raisins
• 1 ½ tablespoons dried apricots, coarsely chopped
• 1 tablespoon raw cashews
• 1 tablespoon raw almonds
Kewl mix #3 • 1 cup air-popped popcorn • ½ cup multi-grain cheerios cereal • 2 tablespoons dried apples, coarsely chopped • 2 tablespoons walnuts • 2 tablespoons dark chocolate chips
Kewl mix #4 • 1 cup air-popped popcorn • 2 tablespoons chopped almonds • 2 teaspoons coarsely chopped dried pineapple • 2 teaspoons coarsely chopped dried papaya • 2 teaspoons coarsely chopped dried mango • 1 low-fat honey graham cracker, broken into bite-sized chunks
You know him as Nevel Papperman on Nickelodeon’s hit show, iCarly, but he is not just an actor and not just a teen…. He is creating Healthy & Delicious Back to School Recipes with icarly Star Reed Alexander Off-camera, the 17-year old self-trained chef is taking an active role in educating our younger generations about making […]