Healthy Grilling Recipes
(Family Features) – Grilling adds amazing flavor to all kinds of foods – and it’s a great way to bring new or healthier foods to the table, too. Grilling’s ideal for everything from meat and veggies to fruits and tofu.
Tofu is a great meat-alternative for anyone trying to cut calories or cholesterol, or wanting to introduce healthful plant-based foods into their diets.
“Tofu is really flexible on flavor,” says Chef Jim Coleman, host of the PBS TV series “Healthy Flavors.” “It tastes like whatever you marinate or season it with. You can use it in a stir-fry or smoothie, and it’s a healthy grilling option, too.”
These tips from Nasoya will help you make the most of your healthy grilling:
- To make tofu more dense you can “press” it. Take it out of the package and place in a pan or strainer with pan underneath. Place a paper towel on the top then put a weight on the tofu for 1-2 hours in the refrigerator (even overnight), the tofu will develop texture more like chicken or steak – great for barbecuing. The weight steadily squeezes more and more of the water out of the tofu as it compresses.
- Cutting tofu into square cubes helps it stand up to being turned on the grill.
- Marinate tofu before grilling so it exudes the wonderful BBQ taste you know and love.
- Tofu is best when it is cooked so it is a bit firm on the outside, but moist on the inside.
“This recipe for Shish-Kabob Tofu is a fun way to get kids more involved in cooking,” says Coleman. “And when kids have fun cooking, they’re more likely to eat what they’ve made.”
For more recipe ideas and prep tips, or to sign up for a health newsletter, visit www.nasoya.com
- 1 package Nasoya Extra Firm Tofu
- 2 cups teriyaki sauce
- 4 green pepper chunks
- 4 red bell pepper chunks
- 8 onion chunks
- 8 tomato chunks
- Drain and pat the tofu dry. (Or try the “press” method.) Cut into large cubes.
- Place tofu cubes onto skewers, alternating with the vegetables to form a colorful arrangement.
- Pour teriyaki sauce over kabobs and marinate for at least 20 minutes. For best results, allow kabobs to marinate overnight.
- Cook over a grill until brown and fragrant.
Healthy Grilling Recipes Shish-Kabob Tofu (Family Features) – Grilling adds amazing flavor to all kinds of foods – and it’s a great way to bring new or healthier foods to the table, too. Grilling’s ideal for everything from meat and veggies to fruits and tofu. Tofu is a great meat-alternative for anyone trying to cut […]