How to Go Green Beautifully
I’m not just saying this because I’m a mom, but you should always listen to mom. Especially when that omnipotent matriarch is Mother Earth. It’s no secret she’s trying to tell us something. Not to go all kumbaya on you, but maybe we should listen to her. Show her a little respect. With Earth Day today, you can do just that. Change a light bulb to an energy-efficient one. Recycle a bottle. Reuse a newspaper. Wear lipstick. Wait. What? Yes, I said wear lipstick.
There are plenty of ways to become Earth-friendly with your beauty products. Model and founder of Josie Maran Cosmetics, Josie Maran, gave me a few quick ways to go green beautifully…literally.
Earth Tips for Beauty:
- Your makeup is one of the easiest ways to go eco. Swap your usual go-to products with ones made with organic ingredients and housed in biodegradable packaging.
- Make your own beauty remedies at home, using products from your own kitchen and garden. One of my favorite recipes is an Avocado and Argan Oil mask I make to soften and moisturize my hands. Mash up half an avocado, squeeze in half a lemon, and add about 10 drops of Argan Oil to create a really soothing mask!
- Host your own beauty swap meet. Go through your beauty closet and instead of throwing away products and shades that you never wear, swap them with a friend’s. You’ll save time and unused product! Note: Don’t give any opened mascara tubes or anything that’s expired.
- Extend the life of your lipstick by scooping out whatever’s left at the bottom of the tube and applying with a brush. If you’re looking for something new, mix it with a clear gloss or balm for a fun “new” product.
Earth Tips for Life:
- Help our bird friends. Instead of tossing out dryer lint, put it in your yard. Birds will collect it and use it to cozy up their nests.
- Switch from paper napkins to cloth napkins–saves waste and trees!
- Save the water you use to warm your shower, then use it to water plants.
- Enroll in online bill-paying options. Paperless billing saves trees, eliminates fossil fuel needed to get all billing envelopes from them to you and back again, and saves money on stamps.
A few all-new organic products out just in time for Earth Day 2010:
- Physicians Formula Bamboo Wear Bamboo Refillable Compact—a unique reusable, refillable compact constructed of 100% naturally sustainable bamboo.
- Biolage Colorcaretherapie Delicate Care Shampoo—the first sulfate-free, high performance, 100% recyclable hair care system for multi-processed hair from Matrix
- Nature’s Gate Organics Advanced Care—skin, sun and oral care all created with certified organic botanicals for a gentle, natural approach
- Limited Edition Elemis Exotic Lime & Ginger Travel Duo—sales benefit the Climate Change Innovation Fund for CARE’s (Cooperative for Assistance and Relief) Climate Change Innovation Fund, which addresses the face of climate change by focusing on helping extremely poor households to thrive in changing environments
- Jason Natural Organic Baby Care Line—Because this all-natural and organic line knows that babies aren’t just small adults
- Revolution Organics Freedom Line—Beauty balms and glosses that are 100% natural, 85% certified organic mean you’re free from so much
STOP! Don’t leave a comment here. Go to my Earth Day giveaway and leave one there to win a “wellness package” from Burt’s Bees.