Invisalign: 10 Facts You Want To Know!!!!
Disclosure: I am a member of the Invisalign Mom Advisory Board. I received complimentary treatment from Invisalign, but all opinions expressed are my own. What do you think?
- How Much Does Invisalign cost? This will vary according to your provider and individual plans. But, I read on Invisalign’s Cost page that it ranges from $3,500 to $8,000 in the US. Check out their calculator , it can really help you determine what it may be. You can also look at your dental insurance if you have it to see what they cover. Be sure to go to the Invisalign Smile Assessment to see if you are a candidate too!
- Do the aligners bother you? My very first set had some sharper edges and my dentist had me come in and they smoothed it out and always sent me home with dental wax which really helped. I had no other irritation or discomfort throughout the 13 months.
- How long do you wear them? I wore them as much as possible. It was about the suggested 22 hours. I was fortunate to go with the exact amount of trays projected and did not have to have my treatment go longer then planned.
- Can I eat or drink with them in? You may only drink water. Eating and drinking anything other than that is not allowed while wearing your aligners. But that’s not a problem, because they are easy to remove and the easy to open travel case fits in a small purse or handbag.
- How long does it take to see a difference? My teeth took change extremely quickly. But, I do know others took a few trays for them to really see change.
- Can Invisalign help everyones teeth? I personally did not have major issues with my teeth. It was not a tough 13 months. But, I do know others who have made huge changes with the very same treatment. It’s best to meet with an Invisalign dentist or orthodontist and find out if it will work for you.
- How do you clean your aligners? You can just use some lukewarm water and a toothbrush. But, I had the best results with the Invisalign cleaning system. PLEASE MAKE SURE NOT to use hot water, or you might warp your aligners!
- Do the aligners hurt? I never felt like they hurt, but I did feel pressure when I would start a new tray. But, it was a good kind of pressure because I assumed that it meant my teeth were moving. I did have friends who have had a little more soreness but they all have said that it wore off quickly.
- What do I do with my old aligners? My doctor wanted me to keep the previous set of aligners, just in case you need to backtrack in treatment. I never had to use them though and threw them out when I was all finished.
- What About Retainers : I love my retainers. When I first got them I was told to wear them for 4 weeks for 22 hours a day. After that I was able to move to 12 hours a day. So I wear them to bed.
No matter what you choose to do I can tell you that more often than not, some dentists just aren’t trained on all of the products or aware of all of the technology that is offered. You can always search for an Invisalign provider in your area and get your first or second opinion.