Here’s a special patriotic dessert idea to serve at your Memorial Day weekend celebrations and summer BBQs.
It’s simple to make, but looks so special (and it tastes so good!) The grilled pound cake serves as a base – its crunchy exterior hides a soft buttery interior, and the combination of tastes and textures are delicious. When topped with the refreshing sweet flavors of fresh mixed berries and creamy ice cream, this dessert wins you hostess with the mostess!
Ingredients (serves 8-10)
- 1 large loaf pound cake (cut into ¾” slices)
- 1 16 oz. package strawberries (rinsed and sliced)
- 1 dry pint blueberries (rinsed)
- 1 dry pint blackberries (rinsed and sliced in half)
- confectioners’ sugar (powered sugar)
- 1 1.5 quart carton French vanilla ice cream
Preheat grill. Rinse and dry berries. Mix together in a bowl and set aside. Put slices of cake on medium heat grill, grill on each side 3-4 minutes per side until cake is heated through and grill marks appear. Remove from grill, top with berries, sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar and a mini scoop of French vanilla ice cream.