A Canadian pharmacy says that it did not know it was handing out bipolar medication along with candy to trick-or-treaters this past weekend. The Québec City pharmacy, said that a customer accidentally dropped her 17 year old son’s prescription medicine when leaving the store. Apparently another customer decided to picked it up (Quetiapine, an antipsychotic used to treat schizophrenia and depression and Divalproex sodium an anticonvulsant used to treat seizures and the manic phase of bipolar disorder) and placed it next to the Halloween candy basket. An employee then mixed the individually wrapped pills in with the candy to distribute to kids.
Canadian police are telling local parents that their kids will be safe, even if they ingest the medication. Common side effects listed for the pills include dizziness,lightheadedness, faintness or and vomiting,unusual drowsiness,sleepiness or and paranoia and let’s not leave out suicidal thoughts.
If you went to a pharmacy on halloween maybe you should re-check your kids halloween candy!