The Easter Bunny is getting ready and is calling everyone to help him go green this year! There are so many eco and healthy treats to make baskets fun and delicious so here are a few ideas on how you can make the greenest baskets ever!
- Opt out of buying cheap, disposable, plastic baskets. Not only are they not green and they fill up the landfills with junk, they are petroleum based and toxic. Buy a nice basket that can be re-used again and again either from a fair trade organization, arts and crafts fair or even thrift store!
- Nix the Easter grass! Also toxic and dangerous, not to mention bad for the earth, plastic easter grass is the worst and a total waste of money. Shred green construction paper or grow your own Easter grass!
- Don’t waste eggs, get creative with paper mache eggs, paintable ceramic eggs or find eco-eggs made from corn to hide treats in.
- Paint wooden or ceramic eggs. A night out at a place like Color Me Mine is a great alternative to dying eggs at home. No real eggs and no mess! Put them out later for your egg hunt and use them year after year.
- Buy vegan, local and fair trade candies to build the healthiest and most eco-friendly Easter basket ever!
- Look for paper basket grass as opposed to the plastic kind. This “green” paper kind can be used year round for other gifts, packing materials, etc.
- Bake vegan easter cakes in egg and bunny shaped molds. These are great in gift baskets, are healthier and cheaper than ordering stuff online that requires shipping.