Mashed potatoes are one of those epicurean icons that you just can’t mess with. They are so good, as is, it’s tough to find a way to make them even better. Well, we found it! Boost those creamy, delicious spuds with just the right amount of pesto and WOW! That’s a Thanksgiving side that’s sure to impress. Not only does the pesto imbibe its subtle, delicious flavors and fragrance, but it will give a little color to an otherwise beige side. Want to take it a step further? Pair this upgraded side with Trestle Chardonnay. Buttery chardonnay plus buttery mashed potatoes equals all of the best things about eating (and drinking!), in one sitting.
Pesto Mashed Potatoes
4 medium russet potatoes, peeled & cubed
2 Tbs butter
⅓ cup whole milk
2 Tbs prepared basil pesto
salt & pepper, to taste
pine nuts, optional
1. Place the peeled and cubed potatoes in a saucepan. Cover the potatoes with water and then bring to a boil.
2. Cook until the potatoes are tender, about 12 minutes.
3. Drain the potatoes and then place them into a large bowl. Mash the potatoes and add in the butter and milk.
4. Beat until smooth. Add more milk if needed.
5. Stir in the basil pesto and season with salt and pepper.
6. Garnish with pine nuts, if desired.
*Recipe courtesy of Thanksgiving.com