Spice Up Summer Recipes; Chicken and Fish
(Family Features) – If there was an official taste of summer, it would no doubt belong to Old Bay. This zesty, distinctive spice blend was created 70 years ago to add a punch of flavor to crabs, shrimp and fish. This unmistakable seafood staple in the iconic yellow and blue can has grown into a nationwide must-have, driven by the unbridled passion of its fans.
To celebrate its 70th anniversary, Old Bay is sharing three exciting dishes that will be sure to shake up your next summer gathering with family and friends.
Summer’s Spicy Secret
A spice that once belonged solely to the Chesapeake Bay area, Old Bay is now shared enthusiastically around the country and is used as a “secret” ingredient for all types of dishes from grilled chicken and salads to corn-on-the-cob and more.
Take corn to another level and shake directly on the cob.
Shake it on the grill when cooking chicken, fish and steak.
Jazz up potato and pasta salads.
Spice up hard-boiled, scrambled, and deviled eggs or egg salad.
Put some bang into burgers and mix with ground meat.
Create sandwich heaven by adding to mayonnaise.
Garnish the rim of your glass for Bloody Mary drinks.
Sprinkle on popcorn and fries.
Spice Up Summer Favorites – Steamed Shrimp Video. Learn how to make delicious and fast steamed shrimp.
For more tasty recipes or to join the Old Bay Nation Fan Club, visit www.oldbay.com.
Crispy Jalapeno Honey Chicken with Tomato-Corn Confetti
3 plum tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup drained canned or thawed frozen whole kernel corn
1 green onion, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon honey, divided
5 teaspoons Old Bay® Seasoning, divided
3 teaspoons finely chopped jalapeno pepper, divided
3/4 cup unseasoned dry bread crumbs
1/4 cup flour
1 tablespoon McCormick® Parsley Flakes
1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast halves
2 tablespoons oil
1. Mix tomatoes, corn, onion, lemon juice, and 1 teaspoon each of the honey, Old Bay Seasoning and jalapese pepper in medium bowl. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
2. Mix remaining 2 tablespoons honey, remaining 2 teaspoons jalapeno pepper and egg in shallow bowl. Mix bread crumbs, flour, remaining 4 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning and parsley flakes on separate plate. Dip each chicken breast in honey mixture. Coat evenly with bread crumb mixture. Repeat dipping and coating of chicken breast with honey and bread crumb mixtures.
3. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet on medium heat. Cook chicken 5 to 7 minutes per side or until cooked through. Serve chicken with Tomato-Corn Confetti.
Makes 6 servings
Notes, Tips & Suggestions
To oven-fry chicken: Coat chicken as directed with honey and bread crumb mixtures. Place on baking pan sprayed with no stick cooking spray. Drizzle chicken with 3 tablespoons oil. Bake in preheated 425¬∞F oven 15 to 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
Calories: 314g Total Fat: 10g
Cholesterol: 108mg Protein: 31g
Carbohydrates: 25g Sodium: 682mg
Ultimate Sweet and Spicy Grilled Salmon
1 tablespoon firmly packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon Old Bay® Seasoning
1 pound salmon fillets
1. Mix brown sugar and Old Bay in small bowl. Brush salmon lightly with oil. Rub generously with seasoning mixture.
2. Grill over medium-high heat 8 minutes per inch of thickness or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
Makes 4 servings
Notes, Tips & Suggestions
Test Kitchen Tip: Old Bay® Rub may be substituted for the Old Bay® Seasoning and brown sugar.
Calories: 184g Total Fat: 8g
Cholesterol: 62mg Protein: 24g
Carbohydrates: 4g Sodium: 431mg
1 pound cooked shrimp, finely chopped
1 plum tomato, finely chopped
2 tablespoons finely chopped green onion
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 egg white
2 teaspoons Old Bay®
1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Garlic Powder
1 loaf French bread
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1. Mix shrimp, tomato, green onion, olive oil, egg white, Old Bay and garlic powder in medium bowl until well blended.
2. Slice bread into 24 (1/2-inch thick) slices. Place on baking sheet; broil until lightly toasted on both sides. Spread lightly with mayonnaise. Spoon shrimp mixture evenly over bread slices.
3. Bake in preheated 350¬∞F oven 8 to 10 minutes or until heated through and lightly browned.
Makes 24 servings
Calories: 54g Total Fat: 2g
Cholesterol: 21mg Protein: 3g
Carbohydrates: 6g Sodium: 147mg