Today’s Recipe: Banana-Oatmeal Cereal Bars
By Hillary Tonken
Today’s recipe: Banana Oatmeal Cereal Bars! This do-it-yourself take on a cereal bar includes banana, walnuts and cereal, making it a nutrient-rich snack that is packed with protein and fiber. Wrap these bars up for a portable snack or keep them in the freezer for up to two weeks for a go-to hunger solution.
Makes 20 bars
1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup granulated white sugar
1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 large, ripe banana, lightly mashed
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon brown rice syrup or light corn syrup
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups old fashioned rolled oats (not quick cooking)
1/2 cup Kellogg’s® All-Bran® Original cereal
1/2 cup walnut pieces
1 cup banana chips
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Spray a 13-by-9-inch nonstick cookie sheet with vegetable cooking spray.
- In the bowl of a mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, add the butter. Beat the butter until smooth. Add the sugars and beat until smooth and creamy, about two minutes. Add the mashed banana, egg, vanilla and syrup and beat one minute longer.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda and salt. Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture and beat until just incorporated.
- Stir in the oats, cereal, walnuts and banana chips.
- Spread the mixture out in an even layer on the prepared pan. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and lightly score the surface of the bars with a knife to demarcate the bars. Cool completely then cut into bars and wrap individually in plastic wrap. Store in freezer for up to two weeks.
NOTE: Bake five to eight minutes longer if you want crispier bars!